SUMMARY: Expand the list of recently used files displayed in the File menu of Access 2003, or remove this list from the menu.
By default, near the bottom of the "File" menu in Microsoft Access 2003 is a list of recently-accessed files. This way you can reopen frequently-used databases without having to navigate your system via the "File" - "Open" menu.
While four files is the default, you can have Access 2003 display up to nine. Or, if you do not need this part of the "File" menu, it can be turned off.
1. Open or create a database to enable the "Tools" - "Options" menu.
2. Click "Tools" - "Options".
3. When the "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "General" tab.
4. To expand or contract the list of recently used files without disabling it altogether, ensure that the "Recently used file list" box is checked. Then, next to this box, click on the pull-down and choose the number of files to display.
Uncheck the "Recently used file list" box to remove the list from the "File" menu.
5. Click "OK" to close the "Options" dialog box.
Return to the Microsoft Access 2003 page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.