Edit your Hosts File
SUMMARY: HijackThis includes a Hosts file editor that can help prevent your web browser from being re-routed to undesirable websites.
A modified Hosts file can redirect your web browser whenever you expect to visit legitimate websites (more Hosts file information). To help keep this file clean, HijackThis has a tool to help modify this file.
1. Start HijackThis. If the "New users quickstart" screen appears, click "None of the above, just start the program".
2. Click the "Config" button.
3. When the "Configuration" screen appears, click the "Misc Tools" button.
4. Underneath "System Tools", click "Open hosts file manager".
5. A Hosts file editor will appear.
* If you notice a suspicious entry in the Hosts file, temporarily disable it. Click on the line in question and then "Toggle line(s)".
* Or, you can completely remove an entry from the Hosts file. Click an entry then "Delete line(s)".
* For more editing capabilities, open the file in the Notepad text editor by clicking "Open in Notepad".
Return to the HijackThis page.
blog comments powered by Disqus