View a Process Manager
SUMMARY: View the list of running processes on your machine and export the information to a text file.
To help determine if spyware or adware is running on your system, HijackThis lets you view the currently running process list, displaying currently-running executables and DLLs used by each executable.
1. Start HijackThis. If the "New users quickstart" screen appears, click "None of the above, just start the program".
2. Click the "Config" button.
3. When the "Configuration" screen appears, click "Open process manager".
This displays a list of each running process's executable file. For added details, click the "Show DLLs" checkbox to view DLL objects instantiated by each process.
This list displays some information Windows 2000 and Windows XP's task manager does not display, but it does not display other information found in the operating system task manager such as the user name running each process plus the CPU usage for each process. However, here are some added handy features:
* To export the list of processes to a text file so you can potentially give it to a computer professional to ask them whether or not certain processes are legitimate or spyware, click the floppy disk button and give the log file a name.
* Likewise, click the clipboard button to copy the process list to the clipboard.
* To view DLL or EXE properties, double-click the desired file.
You can also click "Kill process" to stop a running process, just like the standard Windows Task Manager in Windows 2000/XP.
Return to the HijackThis page.
blog comments powered by Disqus