Disable Colored Tabs (Tab Groups)
SUMMARY: Prevent Internet Explorer from grouping tabs opened from the same website together into colored Tab Groups.
When opening links from a website as new tabs inside Internet Explorer 8, such as by right-clicking a hyperlink and choosing "Open in New Tab", this causes the browser to "group" the new tabs and the old tab together, adding color to the grouped tabs. This grouping does offer some features, i.e. you can right-click a tab and click "Close this Tab Group" to close all grouped tabs.
While some people like this new feature in Internet Explorer 8, others would rather not have their tabs grouped together and colored. Thus this feature can be disabled:
1. Access the Internet Options dialog box. If the menu bar is visible, you can select "Tools" - "Internet Options". If the Command Bar is visible, click the "Tools" button and select "Internet Options". If neither are available, try typing Alt + T then O.
2. When the "Internet Options" dialog box appears, underneath "Tabs", click the "Settings" button.
3. The "Tabbed Browsing Settings" dialog box appears. Uncheck "Enable Tab Groups (requires restarting Internet Explorer)".
4. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to store your settings.
5. As noted in the dialog box, you will have to restart Internet Explorer for tab grouping to become disabled.
Return to the Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 page.
blog comments powered by Disqus