SUMMARY: Configure Internet Explorer 7 to use a different default search engine such as Ask, Google, or Yahoo.
When you type in text in the search engine box (the text box to the right of the address bar) and press the magnifying glass, Internet Explorer 7 by default will search Windows Live. If you'd rather use another search engine such as Google, do the following:
If you have not previously installed the desired search provider:
1. Click on the down-arrow next to the magnifying glass and choose "Find More Providers".
2. Select a search provider from those listed by clicking its link, such as:
3. You will be prompted if you wish to add a search provider to Internet Explorer. Check the box "Make this my default search provider".
4. Click the "Add Provider" button to confirm your selection.
Or, If you have previously installed the search provider:
1. Click on the down-arrow next to the magnifying glass and choose "Change Search Defaults".
2. A "Change Search Defaults" dialog box will appear. Click on your desired default search provider.
3. Click the "Set Default" button.
4. Click "OK" to save your settings.
<image align="right" src="ie7_changed_search_default.jpg"></image>Once you have changed Internet Explorer 7's search defaults using either of the above methods, the search box should change, reflecting your new settings, as noted by the image on the right.
Return to the Internet Explorer 7 Misc page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.