SUMMARY: With a plugin, have IrfanView display EXIF metadata stored inside photos taken by digital cameras.
Digital cameras store extra information inside photos called EXIF metadata. Tags may include information such as the name of the digital camera used to take the photo, as well as exposure settings, aperture, metering mode, focal length, and other information when the photo was taken.
Although IrfanView has an option to display such information, trying to access it by default displays a "Can't load PlugIn - EXIF.DLL" error. To install this plugin so you can view EXIF tags:
1. Either install all IrfanView plugins at once or just download iv_misc.zip.
2. Run the plugin setup program, or if you downloaded the ZIP file, open it and extract the "Exif.dll" file to your Irfanview Plugins directory, usually "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins" or "C:\IrfanView\Plugins".
3. Restart IrfanView.
4. Open an image file containing EXIF tags.
5. Select "Image" - "Information" or press I.
6. When the "IrfanView - Image Properties" dialog box appears, click the "EXIF info*" button.
7. The "EXIF Info" dialog box appears where you can browse through the photo's EXIF tags. If desired, click the "Copy to clipboard" button so the information can be pasted into another application.
8. When done, click "Exit" to close the "EXIF Info" dialog box, and "OK" to close the "IrfanView - Image Properties" dialog box.
Return to the IrfanView page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.