SUMMARY: Determine whether Media Player 11 should automatically try to acquire usage rights for protected files that are out-of-date or lack rights.
When trying to play protected files in Windows Media Player 11, if the files contain invalid or out-of-date usage rights, the player may attempt to re-acquire these rights automatically via the Internet. This way, if you are playing a list of files with incomplete rights, instead of having Media Player 11 prompt you for each file, it can try to get such rights automatically.
Some people, however, may be concerned with Media Player 11 automatically accessing the Internet, and would rather first be asked whether or not to try to acquire correct usage rights. If so, this option can be toggled.
1. From Windows Media Player 11's full mode, right-click the window's title bar.
2. Select "Tools" - "Options".
3. The "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the "Privacy" tab.
4. Underneath "Enhanced Playback and Device Experience", check or uncheck "Download usage rights automatically when I play or sync a file".
5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
Return to the Windows Media Player 11 page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.