SUMMARY: Ask for return receipts when e-mailing in Outlook 2003.
If you are a supervisor, manager, group leader, or human resources representative and want to be verified whenever your e-mail is delivered and/or read, you can enable tracking options in Outlook 2003 to help do just that. Outlook 2003 can request a return receipt be sent whenever another Outlook 2003 user reads your e-mail or just when the e-mail is delivered, or both. This feature is also useful when testing an e-mail system to ensure it is being delivered properly.
While return receipts may be helpful, realize that others can decide to disable this feature, so you may never receive receipts from some individuals. However, a few receipts may be better than none, so to turn on this feature:
1. From Outlook 2003, select "Tools" then "Options".
2. When the "Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Preferences" tab.
3. Click the "E-Mail Options" button.
4. When the "E-Mail Options" dialog box appears, click "Tracking Options".
5. When the "Tracking Options" dialog box appears, check the "Read receipt" and/or "Delivery receipt" checkboxes, as desired.
6. Click "OK" on the three dialog boxes to close them.
Return to the Outlook 2003 Misc page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.