SUMMARY: Help prevent Internet Explorer from downloading malware ActiveX controls with Spybot Search and Destroy.
Spybot Search and Destroy has an option to help prevent Internet Explorer from downloading "bad" software, blocking certain ActiveX controls from ever running. This is a useful part of a multi-prong attack against spyware and adware.
1. Run Spybot Search and Destroy.
2. Click the "Immunize" button.
3. The right pane will now show "Immunize".
4. Check "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer".
5. When Spybot Search and Destroy notices that Internet Explorer is about to download "bad" software, it can either block the downloads silently, bring up a dialog noting that it is blocking software, or it can ask you to confirm blocking the download. Click the below pull-down to choose how you want Spybot Search and Destroy to act.
Return to the Spybot Search and Destroy page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.