SUMMARY: Remove potential privacy violations with Trend Micro Anti-Spyware.
Your operating system and various software packages keep a history log of many things you do on your computer, including:
* Documents opened/edited in various software packages
* Internet Search history in browsers and toolbars
* File search history
* Multimedia files played
* and more.
Normally these history files are useful. If you run certain software packages, you can quickly go back to a document / multimedia file / webpage you recently accessed by scanning the history. However, these history items may violate your privacy if your machine is shared by other people. Thus, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware has a tool that helps remove these items.
1. Click the "History" link. A wizard will appear. DO NOT click the "Start" button just yet until you have defined what you want cleared!
2. Click the "Clean Up" tab. Check or uncheck items to clear as desired.
3. Click the "Cookies" tab. You will need to decide which cookies to remove and which ones to keep (if desired).
* If you need to keep a cookie for login or personalization purposes, click on the cookie, then click on the green arrow next to "Trusted Cookies".
* Likewise, if you know a cookie is only used for tracking purposes and you wish to remove it, click on the cookie, then click on the green arrow next to "Bad Cookies".
4. Click the "Items to Shred" tab. You can now decide whether or not you wish certain other files to be shredded whenever you perform a cleanup. Use with caution as once you remove a file it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove it!
* To select a file for removal, click on the file in the "Available Items" box and then the green arrow.
* To prevent a file from shredding, click on the file in the "Items Selected for Shredding" box and then the red arrow.
* Click "Clear All" to clear all items from the shred pool.
Note that you do not have to select any items for shredding.
5. Review the tabs to ensure everything looks good.
6. Check the "Clean my history when Anti-Spyware is started" if desired.
7. Click the "Start" button to begin the cleanup. This may take a few minutes if you have lots of items checked, or if you have large items checked such as browser caches of temporary Internet files.
Return to the Trend Micro Anti-Spyware page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.