SUMMARY: Control Winamp 5 multimedia playback, no matter what software program you are currently running.
Winamp 5 supports global hotkeys, allowing you to pause multimedia playback, jump to different songs, skip forward and backwards within songs, and more from no matter what application you are running.
1. Right-click on Winamp 5's title bar, choosing "Options" then "Preferences".
2. When the "Winamp Preferences" dialog box appears, click "Global Hotkeys" underneath "General Preferences".
3. In the right pane, Check "Enabled"
You should see a list of global hotkeys that will now be enabled from within any application, listed next to the actions the hotkeys perform. If these keystrokes interfere with other applications, or if you would rather assign other more easy-to-remember keystrokes, do the following:
1. Click next to a hotkey action whose keystroke you want to change.
2. In the "Hotkey" text box, type in a new keystroke combination, using CONTROL, ALT, and/or SHIFT modifiers to help make sure the keystroke will not interfere with other applications.
3. Click the "Set" button to set the new global hotkey.
When you are done, press "Close" to close the dialog box. If you later want to disable hotkey support, perform the above steps needed to get back to the "Global Hotkeys" preferences and uncheck the "Enabled" button.
Return to the Winamp 5 - Misc page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.