Toggle Translucent Selection Rectangle on the Desktop
SUMMARY: When creating selection rectangles on the Windows 7 Desktop, configure whether to show a dotted or translucent selection rectangle.
Depending on your configuration, when you select multiple icons on the Windows 7 Desktop by creating a selection rectangle, such as to copy or move multiple icons to a folder, the rectangle appears translucent. Some people may find this easier to see than the old style selection rectangle that just appears as a dotted outline.
Depending on your graphics drivers, system configuration, or personal preference, you may wish to toggle between viewing the translucent rectangle or the dotted rectangle. You can make the change by doing the following:
1. Click the "Start" button, selecting "Control Panel".
2. If you are using an expanded Control Panel, select "System".
Otherwise click "System and Security", then "System".
3. In the left pane, select "Advanced system settings".
4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, click "Yes".
5. The "System Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the "Advanced" tab.
6. Underneath "Performance", click the "Settings" button.
7. The "Performance Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Make sure the "Visual Effects" tab is selected.
8. Click the "Custom" radio button if it is not already selected, then check or uncheck "Show translucent selection rectangle" as desired.
9. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to close them.
Return to the Windows 7 page.
blog comments powered by Disqus