Find Recently Created or Modified Files
SUMMARY: Don't remember what you named a recent file or what folder / location you placed it in? Use a date modified search.
It has happened to all of us. You recently created or modified a file in some application in Windows 7, but don't remember its name or what folder in which you placed it. You can try going back to the original application and hope the filename is in the recently used file list by selecting the "File" menu, but what if the file is not there? All hope is not lost!
1. Click the Folder button in the taskbar.
2. In the left pane, navigate to where you want the search to be performed on your computer. This may be within a particular folder, or you can click a hard drive to search an entire drive, or "Computer" to search your entire computer.
3. Click in the search box (next to the magnifying glass) and a pop-up containing the text "Date modified" should appear - click that.
From here, you can:
* Click on a day to find files modified that day.
* Click on a beginning day of a range, then hold down the Shift key and click the ending day of a range to find files modified between the specified dates.
* Select from one of the other available options - "A long time ago", "Earlier this year", "Earlier this month", "Last week", "Earlier this week", and "Yesterday".
4. Your search will begin. Note that whole-computer, hard drive, or non-indexed location searches may take a while.
Return to the Windows 7 page.
blog comments powered by Disqus