SUMMARY: The Windows 7 Start Menu highlights programs recently installed - learn how to disable this behavior.
As with earlier versions of Windows, the Windows 7 Start Menu highlights the names of newly-installed software. This way it makes it easier to find these applications, assuming that if you install an application you plan on using it soon.
If you wish to disable this behavior, do the following:
1. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and choose "Properties".
2. The "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Click the "Start Menu" tab.
3. Click the "Customize" button.
4. The "Customize Start Menu" dialog box appears. Scroll down and uncheck "Highlight newly installed programs".
5. Click "OK" on the dialog boxes to close them.
Return to the Windows 7 page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.