Change Level of Junk E-Mail Filtering
SUMMARY: If too much junk e-mail is reaching your Inbox in Windows Live Mail, or if too much mail is accidentally marked as Junk, change the filtering settings.
To help prevent unsolicited e-mail from clogging your Inbox, Windows Live Mail can perform junk e-mail detection, moving suspicious content to your Junk e-mail folder.
With the ever-increasing amount of unsolicited e-mail, it may prove necessary to change Windows Live Mail's settings to be more aggressive in detecting junk, even going to the point of only allowing people or domains on your Safe Senders List to reach your Inbox. Alternatively, if too much legitimate e-mail is reaching your Junk E-Mail folder, you may have to tone down this aggressiveness.
1. Access the Windows Live Mail menu by clicking the menu button (see the screenshot to the right) or press Alt + M.
2. Select "Safety Options".
3. The "Safety Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears. Make sure the "Options" tab is selected.
Choose from one of the four radio buttons to adjust Windows Live Mail's junk e-mail filtering aggressiveness:
* No Automatic Filtering - if you do not trust Windows Live Mail to filter your e-mail, or if you are using a third-party filter, choose this option.
* Low - e-mail that Microsoft claims is "the most obvious junk e-mail" is filtered.
* High - catches a lot of junk e-mail, but this may result in some false positives, so check your Junk E-mail folder on a regular basis.
* Safe List Only - Unless an e-mail address or domain is on your Safe Senders List, it should not reach your Inbox.
4. When done, click "OK" to close the dialog box.
EXPERT USERS: The Registry Entry for this configuration item can be found here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\mail\Level Junk Filtering
0 - No Automatic Filtering
1 - Low
2 - High
3 - Safe List Only
Return to the Windows Live Mail page.
blog comments powered by Disqus