SUMMARY: Turn Windows Vista's Sidebar on or off to display or hide gadgets.
Depending on your Windows Vista configuration, Windows Sidebar may or may not be displayed when you start your machine.
To turn Windows Sidebar off:
1. Right-click the Windows Sidebar icon on the taskbar (it looks like the image to the left). If you do not see this icon, click the "Show Hidden Icons" arrow (it looks like the image to the right), then right-click the Windows Sidebar icon.
2. To temporarily disable the Windows Sidebar, click "Exit". Or, to permanently disable it:
* Click "Properties"
* The "Windows Sidebar Properties" dialog box will appear. Uncheck "Start Sidebar when Windows Starts".
* Click "OK".
* Finally, right-click the icon again and click "Exit".
Note that you may have to confirm your settings.
To turn Windows Sidebar on:
1. Click the Windows button on the taskbar, enter "sidebar" (without quotes) and press the Enter key.
2. Now, if you want to permanently enable the sidebar when Windows starts:
* Right-click the Windows Sidebar icon, choosing "Properties".
* The "Windows Sidebar Properties" dialog box will appear. Check "Start Sidebar when Windows Starts".
* Click "OK".
Return to the Windows Vista - Windows Sidebar page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.