SUMMARY: After hibernation or standby, you can stop Windows XP from asking for your password.
Normally, when you put your Windows XP computer in standby mode or in hibernation, or when Windows XP automatically places your computer in such modes after long periods of inactivity, you are brought back to the Welcome screen where you must enter your password prompt to continue (this is if your computer is password protected). If you'd rather return directly to where you were working, bypassing the password prompt, follow this tip:
1. Click "Start", choosing "Control Panel".
2. Select the "Power Options" control panel.
3. When the "Power Options Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, click the "Advanced" tab.
4. Uncheck "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby".
5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
Return to the Windows XP and Account Management page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.