SUMMARY: Change a folder's icon to fit your taste.
Tired of most folders looking like the same drab yellow open file? You can change a folder's icon in Windows XP to better signify its contents. To change a folder's icon:
1. Right-click on a folder and choose "Properties".
2. When the "Properties" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, select "Customize".
3. Click the "Change Icon" button.
4. Choose an icon you wish to use and click "OK", or click "Browse" to browse your system for other icons. Look for .ICO and .EXE files on your system for more icons. You may even want to download some freeware icons over the Internet.
5. Press "OK" to close the dialog box.
Note that you may need to close and reopen the folder for the icon change to take effect.
Return to the Windows XP and Explorer page.
The MalekTips website was created in 1998 by Andrew Malek of Envision Programming. The page's goal is to freely disperse computer-related tips, hints, and informative articles. Tips are organized to be easy to find, and are presented clearly, in easy-to-understand language.